I'm an advocate of the epublishing realm. As much as I love paper books, I feel that--especially in the romance genre--ebooks are the most accessible, inexpensive, and satisfying way to read. And there are dozens of publishers just waiting to read your submission. Of course, my first choice is my own publisher, Boroughs Publishing Group. For them, the author is the most important part of the process and they really care about good writing.
It used to be that the first thing you had to do when finished writing (and rewriting) your novel was to secure a literary agent. That's not necessarily the case with an ebook. Agents are very helpful to guide your career and oversee contracts. But in this competitive world of romance authors, even agents prefer to see a selling track record before they take you on. One way to do this is to select a reputable epublisher who will help you get your manuscript in shape and on the virtual shelves. The advantage to choosing an epublisher over self-publishing is the editing process. If you choose one of the publishers I've listed, you will be paired with a top editor who ensures that your writing is the best possible. These publishers will also offer a certain level of distribution and marketing that will be difficult to achieve on your own. No matter who publishes you, you as the author will be your own best advocate. If you want to be published and sell your books, you can't just be a writer anymore. You have to be a presence.
That said, here are my top five picks for romance publishers that will definitely help advance your career if you get a contract with them:
- Boroughs Publishing Group: submissions@BoroughsPublishingGroup.com With a keen understanding of the romance market, Boroughs may be new but they're stellar. With Christopher Keeslar, former executive editor at Dorchester, as their Editor in Chief, the quality of their stories is assured.
- Carina Press: email@example.com As the digital only imprint of Harlequin, Carina Press taps some of the best romance editors and is part of one of the largest romance publishing groups in history.
- Forever Yours: ForeverYours@hbgusa.com Launched in February 2012, Forever Yours is the digital-only imprint of The Hatchette Group.
- The Wild Rose Press: firstname.lastname@example.org Small but fiesty, this publisher has consistent quality and their authors win awards.
- Samhain Publishing: email@example.com Though launched independently as a digital-only publisher, Samhain is established and recognized as one of the top romance publishers.
And please feel free to add any suggestions you have for a good romance epublisher.
What Would You Wish For?
The Genie Ignites, a fiery love story between a jinni and the woman he will never abandon,
is now available!