From the writing desk of Christine Mazurk
Today, I'm going to focus on something different. Cooking a delicious meal for guests without the stress.
We all do it. Invite people over then stress about what to make. How do I balance creating a nice meal while still playing hostess? How do I time the meal so I can enjoy a cocktail and hors d'oeuvres with my friends?
I have several favorite recipes, but I've received accolades for this particular dish...
CHICKEN CUTLETS with FONTINA and FRESH BLUEBERRY SAUCE
Buttery fontina cheese and a sweet-savory blueberry sauce turn modest chicken breasts into an extraordinary dish friends and family will love!
1 tablespoon butter, divided
4 boneless chicken breasts
1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2 ounces shredded fontina cheese
3 tablespoons organic apple juice
1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 cup fresh blueberries
1 1/2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme
1. Melt 1 teaspoon of butter in a large nonstick skillet over med-high heat. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Add chicken to skillet; cook for 4-5 minutes per side. Remove to oven proof dish. Place dish on center rack of pre-heated 300 degree oven. Continue with next step.
2. Combine apple juice, vinegar, and mustard in small bowl; whisk together. Add apple juice mixture to pan; simmer for one minute. Add blueberries and thyme; simmer 3 minutes. (Sauce will turn a beautiful purple color.) Stir in remaining 2 teaspoons of butter.
3. Sprinkle cheese over chicken breasts, turn off oven but let cheese melt in warm oven.
4. Serve by spooning blueberry sauce over each chicken breast.
This recipe is for four servings, duplicate for each additional 4 guests.
Any side goes well with this dish, but I like to serve it with:
GINGER-ROASTED GREEN BEANS
1 (12 ounce) package of fresh, trimmed green beans
2 teaspoons olive oil
2 teaspoons grated, peeled, fresh ginger
1/8 teaspoon salt (optional) (use your favorite spice in place if on a low-sodium diet)
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees
2. Combine green beans, olive oil, and spice; toss well.
3. Line backing sheet with foil (I like nonstick foil), spread green beans in a single layer on the sheet.
4. Bake for 10 minutes or until crisp-tender.
Simple, quick, and delicious!!!
Do you have a favorite recipe you like to make for company? I'm always looking for new dishes to try, so please share yours.
And if you decide to try this with your family or friends, let me know what they think. Until next time - Hugs!